- About the SSI
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
The Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) Design Coordinator is an employee of the SSI and a member of the SSI Marketing Team. This Team includes the Design, Event, and Visibility Coordinators, and is tasked with publicizing the SSI and its activities. Of that work, this position is responsible for promoting the SSI through digital and print design efforts such as posters, flyers, digital and print advertisements, brochures, signage, large format posters and banners, social media banners/graphics, and SWAG items. In addition to designing items, they will be in charge of managing the production of materials as well. Being the only graphic designer at the SSI, the Design Coordinator must be self-motivated, communicate and work well with non-designers, and have time management skills.
All staff members of the SSI are responsible for furthering the SSI’s mission and vision by (1) recruiting and training potential SSI staff, interns, and volunteers, (2) acting as a liaison between the SSI and other organizations, (3) encourage and support students in furthering their own vision of sustainability on campus, (4) develop a sense of ownership and community for students within the SSI, (5) increase community understanding of the need for a sustainable culture and the opportunities and resources available to address that need, and (6) encourage movement by the institution towards a sustainable future
● Hold regular office hours at the SSC
● Attend staff meetings
● Meet individually with Director at least twice quarterly to check in
● Recruit, coordinate, and supervise volunteers and interns
● Collaborate closely with members of the Marketing Team to (1) ensure promotion of the SSI and its activities, (2) stay up-to-date on the activities and advertising needs of project coordinators, and (3) assist other groups in the promotion of sustainability-related activities
● Act as a liaison between the SSI and related grant recipients, helping them plan and implement their projects
● Promote the SSI through digital and print design efforts
● Preserve and develop the visual identity of the SSI
● An understanding of, and passion for, sustainability
● Detail oriented
● Problem solving skills
● Experience working with diverse groups of people
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Ability to work individually and as part of a team
● Great people skills
● Experience working with volunteers or interns
● Intermediate to advanced graphic design skills and experience
● Demonstrated ability to design in different styles across a range of materials
● Understanding of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop programs
● Knowledge of the SSI, its history, and its activities
● Experience coordinating volunteers, interns, or staff
● Experience doing advertising, marketing, or outreach for projects or organizations
● Demonstrated inclination to take initiative
● Demonstrated leadership abilities
● An awareness of and/or connection to campus and community groups in position-specific area of sustainability
● Multimedia design experience
● Web design experience
● Photography experience
● Advanced graphic design experience
Open to Applications
Employment Dates and Hours:
Employment starts May 1st at 5 - 15 hours/week. At that point in time, the new Design Coordinator will work with the current Design Coordinator on hiring, transitioning, and training. As of June 15th, summer hours will begin and be scheduled based on availability of Design Coordinator and needs of SSI. Two weeks before the beginning of Fall Term, training hours will begin for all staff: 40 hours per week. As of the first day of classes, regular hours will begin: 10-15 hours/week during fall, winter, and spring terms. Employment will last until June 15th of the following year.
Pay rate will start at $9.90 per hour.
Terms and Conditions:
SSI employees must (1) maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher, be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the employment period, and must not be on academic probation, (2) affirm and uphold University policies that help create and maintain a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. (OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran's status.)
Submit a cover letter and resume addressed to the SSI Design Coordinator via email to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted from April 1st to April 12th. Please address the following questions in your cover letter, and indicate whether or not there is interest in working over the summer:
- Do you have any design or marketing experience? What skills and experience do you have in this area that you think will best assist you in completing the duties as the Design Coordinator?
- Why do you want to work at SSI? What draws you to sustainability work?
- What kinds of experiences have you had working with people from different backgrounds than your own? Why is diversity an important part of a college education experience?
- Taking on a part-time job is a commitment. Can you tell us a little about your time management and/or organizational skills?
Please address questions to the current Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/ssi/.